Monday, November 24, 2008

Ingredient Safety Tip

This weekend while I was making BBQ sauce, I noticed that one of the bags of tomato paste (tomato past and sauce comes in foil-like pouches here) smelled very odd ... very vinegary.  Fortunately, I caught this before putting it into the sauce.  I suspect Very Bad Things were growing in that paste.

What was surprising was the bag showed no signs of being puffy or expanded before I opened it.  I always check for that, just like one should always check cans for expansion.

Maybe I'm being a little paranoid here.   But, to be safe, be sure to smell your ingredients when you open them. 

1 comment:

Malar Gandhi said...

Thanks for your support dude.(under plagiarism post @ kitchentantra.com). Hope it resolves smoothly. I will visit ur site more leisurely later...have a great day.