Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Rotten Banana Trick

OK, more like overripe banana trick. That didn't sound as cool for a title.

This I learned from my mom: if you have bananas that are past the stage where you'll eat them, but before they go bad, freeze them. They'll keep for a long, long time and be in perfect condition for banana bread.

And, that's it. Pretty simple and exceedingly effective. I found out today that most of the banana bread I enjoyed as a kid was made with frozen overripe bananas. We'd have one or two bananas from a bunch that had ripened too much. So, she would freeze them and save them. When she had enough for bread, she'd make it.

Pretty clever of her. I must steal more of her cooking secrets.

By the way, as I type this, I have a batch of banana bread in the oven ...

No comments: