Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Love My Freezer ... um, Fridge ... Both

We have between seven and ten people living here at the house at any given time. Our fridge just wasn't enough to hold everything that we need. And, the upright freezer we had was less than pathetic. Not to mention that in the heat here, every time we opened the freezer all the cold air would fall out and be replaced with 25-degree Celcius meat-defrosting nastiness.

So, a trip to the appliance store was in order. Oh, they had a sea of appliances that said "buy us, buy us". Yes, I do love gadgets and buying them. Even big, white gadgets.

I, of course, want to buy the biggest chest freezer there. My wife, Joan, thought maybe that was a little excessive. We managed to come to a compromise where we'd buy a smaller unit and buy a second one if needed.

What we did buy was seriously nifty. It will function as both a refrigerator and a freezer. I insisted on the chest configuration because of its efficiency and how it doesn't let tons of hot air in when you open it.

Since I want to try making some wet-cured ham, having the wide range of adjustment is great.

I know, seems like a small thing. Yeah, it is a small thing. Still, I like it.

2 comments:

Anne said...

Dang... I need one of those! I love the adaptability and it's great to see this stuff you are making from scratch. Keep up the good work!

James said...

Thanks! If you can find this kind of chiller where you live, I highly recommend it. Mine are made by Whirlpool.

I'm really enjoying learning how to make things from the very base ingredients ... of course, it helps that I'm forced to do so.