Sunday, January 4, 2009

New Year's Resolutions ... An Exercise In Futility?

Every year, the vast majority of us make resolutions for every new year. Most of those resolutions revolve around improving ourselves in one way or another.

Most of us also fail miserably at our resolutions. Not due to lack of trying or lack of trying. It's just that we have our habits, our vices, and we like them.

This year, I'm going to try something different. I'm not going to resolve to lose weight, not going to resolve to exercise every day for two hours, not even going to resolve to eat better (although, I _am_ giving up Coke products ... I like the way water makes me feel ... that makes keeping this resolution a lot easier).

I'm resolving to build discipline in myself. Yes, you read that right: discipline.

I spent a lot of time this holiday season doing self-examination. I suspect many of us do when we're not at a party or recovering from a party.

Now, if you've gotten this far in this rambling post and are anything like me, you're asking yourself "why should I care? and, how does this apply to your cooking and the blog?"

Good questions! I'd ask those myself.

Up until now, my posting has been random, sporadic, periods of maniacal posting followed by lulls. I want to stop doing that. I will stop doing that.

I need a schedule. I'm thinking about posting on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. I don't have a staff to help me take care of the writing, photography, editing, cooking, and food styling, so I'm going to have to have enough time to do it ...and have time for my life, too.

I have a second resolution: I want to do better photographs.  I'm going to try starting immediately.  So, if you see pictures going downhill at first, please be patient. 

I'm going to continue my quest for pizzas and Italian food in general.  Same with Dim Sum and Chinese food.

Besides that, I'm just going to keep cooking and loving it.  The new year is here ... time to enjoy ourselves and appreciate our lives.

No comments: