Saturday, November 8, 2008

Chok-wate Milk!

My son loves chocolate milk. Right now, it's a great way to get him to drink his milk. We limit him on it .. a glass a day. But, it's a glass of milk where there's no argument. That's a plus.

I was shopping in my favorite imported goods store a few days ago and found some Nestle's Quik (yes, I know it's Nesquik now ... I just think that sounds lame ... I'm old, I'll call it what it was called when I was a kid). I got an idea!

What if I made some instant chocolate milk? Powdered milk plus chocolate milk mix.

OK ... to the kitchen ... calculator in hand.

The Nestle's has 19 servings ... 2 tablespoons each intended for 8 ounces of milk. I decided to use half of the container because I didn't have a huge jar. We had these nifty instant coffee jars that my mom keeps emptying. So, I needed enough powdered milk to make 76 ounces of liquid milk (76 is 19 servings times 8 ounces, divided in two). Otherwise known as approximately 1.14 liters of milk.

The powdered milk wants 32.5 grams of powder for every 200 milliliters of milk produced. Since we want 1.14 liters, we need 185 grams of the powder.

Easy, eh? 185 grams of powdered milk plus 19 tablespoons (1 cup plus 3 tablespoons) of Quik ... mixed together. I tested the mix and found that it way, way too heavy on the chocolate. So, I upped the milk. 220 grams total. Much nicer.

Instant chocolate milk! Just add water.

Another satisfied customer!

No comments: