Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Snickerdoodles ... Quelle coïncidence!

Well, last night I had a bit of a disaster in the kitchen. First, my French onion soup went wrong ... just bad, bad. As in "it's now pig food" bad. There was nothing burnt, nothing left out, no wrong ingredients, just somewhere along the way I did something wrong. Very wrong.

Then, my Snickerdoodles didn't come out right. I've made at least a thousand of them in my life, possibly more. I figure that's quite a few considering I'm not a professional (although, I might be here soon!). I've never had problems with Snickerdoodles before. A couple things went wrong.

Not to mention, last night my oven was haunted. It just won't heat past 300F, maybe 325F. I dreaded calling the repair man today. So, just out of curiosity, I tried setting the oven to "blast furnace" and it heated up nicely to 460F. Just like it always did.

Gott im Himmel! A batch of Snickerdoodles ruined due to a miserable oven. Then, I noticed something horrible. Something unimaginable. I'd left out the baking soda. In fact, I'd left it off the ingredient list in my first Snickerdoodle post (fixed now). I walked away from the cookies, which the Primary Test Team devoured anyway, and pretended they never happened. They don't exist to me.

I'm posting now, but after everyone else has posted about Snickerdoodles. I feel like a copycat.

Fortunately, a few folks have posted today ... including Katy at Sugarlaws. She suggested melting some of the butter. I'm going to try that.

And, regarding feeling bad about being a copycat ... oh well ... I'm taking a few over to a potential client for a taste. Can't be too sad about that!

Ingredients
  • 84 grams (3/4 cup) butter
  • 180 grams (1-1/2 cups) sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs
  • 385 grams (2-3/4) cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons Cream of Tartar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 28 grams (1/4 cup) melted butter
  • 30 grams (1/4 cup) white sugar
  • 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Procedure

I preheated my oven to 400F (200C). Nice and hot so the little guys will flatten nicely.

As usual, I creamed butter and sugars together brutally. I really notice a difference in the cookies when the cream step is taken seriously. Then, I added the eggs and vanilla ... mixing them in well.


While the eggs and vanilla were finding their new home, I put the dry ingredients into a separate bowl and whisked them together. Making sure to evenly distribute the
Whisk dry ingredients together in separate bowl. Incorporate completely, but not too much.


I added melted butter and stirred slowly to mix. Oh, this time the dough had the right consistency. It wasn't firm and hard. It is gooey and really needs a couple of hours in the chiller .. which is where it went.

8-10 minutes (most were at 8) in the oven at 400F (200C) and they came out delicious! Don't cook too long or you'll burn them. Don't cook too short or they'll fall. If they fall, they're still delicious, just not as visually appealing.


Let them sit on the sheet for about a minute before transferring them to wire racks for complete cooling.

Yields

30 cookies (using a 1-1/2 ounce ice cream scoop)

Test Results

Primary Test Group: Marasa! More daddy!

Random Test Group: Wow! These are amazing.

Potential Improvements

Katy at Sugarlaws put cinnamon in her cookies, too. I might try that. Boost the cinnamon flavor a bit.

Conclusions

Cookies are great. Plain and simple ...

No comments: