Sunday, June 29, 2008

More on Ingredients ...

Yes, I'm obsessed about ingredients, aren't I? I didn't used to be. Didn't used to care much. Now, since a lot aren't easily available to me, I am.

I definitely plan to post recipes that I make and pictures of the results ... good or bad. But, I also plan to post my trials and tribulations with getting or making basic ingredients.

Today, I'm sick. Very sick. Probably-should-be-on-antibiotics sick. So, I spent the day perusing other food blogs. Really great things are getting posted out there.

One thing that was immediately apparent to me: my recipes are going to end up looking far more complex than many. See, I don't have Cream of Chicken soup available to me anytime of the day or night. Sometimes, if I'm lucky, one of the more interesting local stores will bring in things from Manila. I can't count on that.

So, I'm going to work on, test, and develop recipes that do many things from ... gasp ... scratch. And, in the case of many herbs, I'll have to grow them myself.

Yes, yes, I know that this is what fine restaurants do. One minor point: I'm not a professional culinarian. I don't even play one on TV.

There's a lot to figure out. I'm actually looking forward to it. I hope I don't punish my taste buds too much.

No comments: